The first pic is what we purchased when the sale on our Station House settled back in 2006. Our daughter was then 2 years old, our son 7. We viewed the property only once and very quickly. Although I recall not loving the blue, I thought it to be in otherwise good condition. We did all the right things … organised a Building and Pest Inspection and both my husband and I requested to be present. To cut this long, and rather sordid story short, the inspection was not worth the paper it was written on. The company that carried out the inspection were fraudulent in both their role and their reporting and we later bore the brunt of their misconduct in many areas, the bathroom being one.
Due to the cost of a major bathroom renovation (everything from the ceiling down had to be gutted, including 1/3 of the flooring) and that we only had 1 bathroom, we lived with this disaster for 8 years. Keeping in mind that in between those 8 years we replaced the wiring, hot water system, kitchen, part of the roof, combustion heater, front doors and fences. We added insulation, another bedroom, a back deck, security on all windows and doors and bathroom ventilation & heaters. AND * WE * LIVED * THERE * THE * ENTIRE * TIME.
So 2014 was the year we FINALLY couldn’t take it anymore and we renovated! Although it has been 3 years since, I will still add the Budget + Source Guide below. Advice? Shop around. Shop online! Home renovations are not The Block. The best renovations begin with an idea. Inspiration. Then a whole lot of research. Remember that bathrooms and kitchens sell a home. Keep it simple, timeless and pragmatically … easy to clean. Think of storage and yes, just like The Block … Face Level Storage is the best!
BUDGET + SOURCE GUIDE
- BASIN(s) – Square, White Porcelain, Chrome Waste – EBAY
- BASIN MIXER(s) – Chrome – LIGHT in the BOX (Online)
- TELEPHONE TAP – Bath / Shower, Chrome – EBAY
- TILES Floor – BEAUMONT – Essential Black & White 300 x 300
- TILES Wall – BEAUMONT – Gloss White Antique 200 x 300
- BATH – 1400 Free Standing + Chrome Waste – NOVA DEKO (Online)
- GROUT – BEAUMONT – Slate Grey 5kg (Floor) + Ultra White 5kg (Walls)
- VANITY MIRROR / CABINET(s) – IKEA – Hemnes, White
- FLOOR BOARDS – Recycled – UNDERWOOD DEMOLITION MARKET
- TOILET – Eco Cistern, Soft Close Lid – MITRE 10
- TIMBER – Decorative Skirting/Picture Rail – BUNNINGS – Tasmanian Oak
- TIMBER Benchtop – IKEA – Råsunda, Oak
- PAINT – BUNNINGS – Undercoat
- TOWEL RAIL – Heated – EBAY
- RAIL(s) – Under Bench – IKEA – Grundtal, Black
- TOILET TISSUE – Holder, Chrome – EBAY
- INCIDENTALS – Timber, Plumbing, Hardware etc. – BUNNINGS
- DECORATIVE ITEMS – Towels, candle etc. – STYLISTS OWN
- LIGHT FITTING – Original
Be brave, do your research and find a bargain!